[Rd] new("call") problem

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Sun Jan 9 00:05:43 CET 2005

The below looks like the show method has trouble with the default call
object (or that there is no default call object). Not sure if this is a
bug, design problem, or a difficulty on my part using and extending the
call class, but it has caused difficulty for when I want to extend the
call class into other S4 classes.

> new("call")
Error in print("<undef>"()) : couldn't find function "<undef>"

This error pops up when I show an object with an empty call slot.
Error in show("<undef>"()) : Unable to find the argument "object" in
selecting a method for function "show"

I'll leave it up to the developers to designate this as a bug or not,
but I would certainly prefer that new() and show() never reports errors
when an empty object is passed as an argument (of any class).

Best,
Robert

Robert McGehee
Geode Capital Management, LLC
53 State Street, 5th Floor | Boston, MA | 02109
Tel: 617/392-8396    Fax:617/476-6389
mailto:robert.mcgehee at geodecapital.com

This e-mail, and any attachments hereto, are intended for use by the
addressee(s) only and may contain information that is (i) confidential
information of Geode Capital Management, LLC and/or its affiliates,
and/or (ii) proprietary information of Geode Capital Management, LLC
and/or its affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or if you have otherwise received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify me by telephone (you may call collect), or by e-mail,
and please permanently delete the original, any print outs and any
copies of the foregoing. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this e-mail is strictly prohibited.