[Rd] S4 class no longer accepts matrix in array slot under 2.0.1

Giles Heywood giles.heywood at cantab.net
Tue Jan 11 11:39:10 CET 2005

I see - clearly I had confused the extended superclass with a slot.  I'm not
sure that this correction to my thinking moves me closer to my objective,
however (i.e. extending array and allowing 2D array, as was allowed in
1.9.1).

In such a situation I return to the documentation and examples.  I have a
further question about documentation.  The Green Book, valuable and
frequently cited as it is, is now in many ways increasingly difficult to
relate to R, except at a somewhat abstract level (I fully understand that R
is a separate implementation of the S language etc).  I also have found
Venables and Ripley ch5 most helpful.  Is there in existence documentation
which provides an overview of the methods package as it now stands, rather
like an updated Green Book?  Or are there specific packages or example
packages which illustrate most of, or much of, the functionality (I have
found SparseM useful in this way)?

TIA

Giles