[Rd] R as unix filter

David A. van Leeuwen david at elseware.nl
Wed Jan 12 00:44:46 CET 2005

R-devel,

R is great, and in fact so great that I have whished to use it as a
proper Unix filter ever since I started using it.  Just like octave,
perl, bash, etc.

Even though I could only find one message in the R-mailing lists, I
can't imagine nobody else would want to be able to say on a nice bash
command line:

$ cat data-file | some-process | R-script | another-process > file.out

specifically for (live generated, multiple) large data files and
complicated calculations in the R-script.

So I wrote a set of wrapper scripts/programs.  From the terse README:

---

`Rf' allows unix script programmers to use the statistics program `R'
as a proper unix filter.  `R' is IMHO a great program, which can do
much more than only statistics, for instance, it has great graphics
output.

A big disadvantage is, however, that it seems inherently an
interactive program, and can therefor not be used as a proper unix
filter.  More specifically, it cannot read data from stdin.  It wants
the script input in stdin.

In order to circumvent this problem, the Rf package comes with two
utilities:

r-as-filter: a (bash) script doing most of the work
Rf: a c-wrapper script that calls r-as-filter in a `sh-bang' context.

Basically, Rf allows you to write a little sh-bang script (included in
this distribution as file `mean'):

===start of file====
#!/usr/local/bin/Rf

x <- scan(.stdin, quiet=T)
cat (mean(x))

===end of file===

This example script reads number in from stdin (the R character
variable `.stdin') and prints the average on standard out.  Thus, one
could say on the command line:

$ seq 10 | mean

and the average of the numbers 1 through 10 will be calculated (5.5).

---

The very first version of the package can be found at

    http://speech.tm.tno.nl/r/rf-0.1.tar.gz

Of course, It would be a lot better if somehow R could include this
functionality itself.  But what do you think of this?

---david