[Rd] Vignette without latex/sweave

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Wed Jan 26 19:26:27 CET 2005

Is it possible to create a package vignette without latex/sweave?  I gather
that the %\VignetteIndexEntry and other \%Vignette... lines in the .Rnw
file provide the various vignette metadata but was just wondering
if latex/sweave are really hardwired into this or if its possible to
produce a .pdf using other software and have it included as a vignette.
If so, how does one specify the metadata?

I don't actually have a need for this but was just wondering.