[Rd] the incredible lightness of crossprod

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Jan 28 09:18:26 CET 2005

Patrick Burns wrote:

> On my machine the versions are all precompiled R, and I would
> be very surprised if the same were not the case on the client's
> machine.  That is, no specially compiled BLAS.

Hmmm. I always install using some advanced BLAS: On Windows, e.g.,
simply using the Rblas.dll provided by Brian Ripley, on Linux it's
really no effort to compile it yourself.

For huge matrices you can use your some-years-old-desktop machine (with
some advanced BLAS) to outperform expensive multi-CPU machines (without
advanced BLAS).

Uwe Ligges