[Rd] type of list elements in .Call

Huntsinger, Reid reid_huntsinger at merck.com
Mon Jan 31 18:42:05 CET 2005

This just means that R doesn't currently do anything complicated when you
ask for a pointer to the data in an R vector object. But that doesn't
matter; the behavior of REAL etc doesn't depend on that.

Note that INTEGER, REAL, etc just give you pointers of type int *, double *,
etc. It's up to you to make sure that a particular use makes sense or you'll
get garbage at best. As discussed in the manual, you can either do this on
the R side, or in C: first check the type of the object, then coerce if that
makes sense and is necessary, and handle errors as you see fit.

Coercion between types requires a copy, in general, so you need to
explicitly ask for that.

Reid Huntsinger