[Rd] .Rbuildignore {was: ... upgrading an R (WINDOWS) installation ..}

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jul 6 15:12:11 CEST 2005

    Gabor> I have cleaned up my batch files (somewhat) and posted them to
    Gabor> CRAN. See my recent post:
    Gabor> https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2005-July/073400.html

    Gabor> If any of this functionality could migrate to R
    Gabor> itself that would be great.

    Gabor> 2. Also if Rcmd CHECK and Rcmd INSTALL were to
    Gabor> process .Rbuildignore like Rcmd BUILD does then
    Gabor> makepkg.bat would not have to do a build first.

No!  {We have been here before, and I had explained before that}
this is really undesired:  ".Rbuildignore" should contain what is
ignored by build, but not by "check".
It does make sense to have extra code and / or checks for 'R CMD check'
that I as package developer want to run, but that are
  -- too time consuming
  -- too platform specific
  -- ......
to be run during the daily checks on CRAN (e.g.) /
to be run by others at all.

{And BTW, AFAIK,  'Rcmd' is now `somewhat deprecated' in favor
 of "R CMD" since the latter is portable }

--
Martin