[Rd] upgrading an R installation to next versoin

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Jul 6 23:12:24 CEST 2005

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> On 6/30/05, Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:

>>>My R_LIBS environment variable is just
>>>
>>>  R_LIBS=C:\progs\r\library
>>>
>>>and within R I see
>>>
>>>  > .libPaths()
>>>  [1] "C:/progs/r/library"          "C:/progs/r/rcurrent/library"
>>>
>>>i.e., the default library is automatically appended.  The help for
>>>.libPaths explains this.  And yes, install.packages() installs to
>>>C:\progs\R\library and update.packages() works as expected.

>>>You are probably correct, though I have not yet encountered any problems
>>>that I could attribute to not running initexmf -- no doubt the filenames
>>>have not changed recently.

>>Thanks. I think I have it now.  I have:
>>
>>- placed my *.site files and library folder in C:\Program Files\R
>> and have set the R_LIBS variable in Renviron.site to point to
>> C:\Program Files\R\library .
>>
>>- I have a batch file which I placed on my desktop which runs rgui.exe
>> from the bin subfolder of the current version of R (using the registry
>> entry to find it).  That desktop shortcut has the Alt+Ctrl+R shortcut
>> key associated with it since the batch file itself does not change even
>> when I install new versions of R.
>>
>>- each time I install a new version of R I run a batch file which
>> -- copies the R miktex files to the appropriate miktex folder
>> -- refreshes the miktex file name data base
>> -- copies the *.site files in \Program Files\R to the etc subfolder
>>    of the current version of R (using the registry entry to find it)
>>
>>Getting this right is something I have been putting off for some time
>>now since I was very concerned that I screw up my entire R installation
>>but with the advice of the two of you I think I have it now.
>>If any of this functionality could be taken over by the standard
>>R installation procedure that would be great but in any case I think
>>I have a solution that works for me now.  Thanks.
>>

> I have cleaned up my batch files (somewhat) and posted them to
> CRAN. See my recent post:
>    https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2005-July/073400.html
>
> If any of this functionality could migrate to R itself that would be great.
>
> 1. In particular, if R could automatically look in ../R for *.site files if it
> can't find them in .../R/rw..../etc and if it could look for a library

This is already implemented, just specify the environment variable
R_PROFILE which points to your global site file. See ?Startup

> in .../R/library then Rrefresh.bat could be simplified to just refreshing
> MiKTeX and makepkg.bat would not have to set the R_LIBS variable.

Well, same as above, just set R_LIBS. You can do this for all sessions
by using the windows control panel, you don't need to do it in each session.

Why do you expect others are using a setup like yours?
I do not. And I do not want R to look

> 2. Also if Rcmd CHECK and Rcmd INSTALL were to process .Rbuildignore
> like Rcmd BUILD does then makepkg.bat would not have to do a build first.

Martin already pointed out why you should not really want this.

Uwe