[Rd] .Rbuildignore {was: ... upgrading an R (WINDOWS) installation ..}

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Jul 6 23:31:25 CEST 2005

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> On 7/6/05, Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
>
>>Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

>>>I think its too heavy handed an approach.  This should be up to the package
>>>developer via a switch.  I like to put partially written code and other things
>>>not intended for distribution in .Rbuildignore and don't want them checked or
>>>installed until I move them out of .Rbuildignore.  That makes it
>>>possible to keep
>>>everything together.  Without this one must 1. keep them elsewhere
>>>(which I am considering as an alternate approach to what I do now although
>>>it would be a shame) or else 2. write batch files (which I have
>>>written for XP) to do
>>>a prebuild every time one does a check or install.
>>>
>>>One annoying aspect of R CMD is the requirement for capitalization.  Maybe
>>>that's ok on UNIX but on Windows one is used to using upper and lower
>>>case interchangeably.  Its also annoying to have to write two words instead of
>>>one for a frequently issued command.   At any rate I always call it through
>>
>>Gabor, honestly, this is nonsense.
>>
>>1. Do you expect that R also changes under Windows because you are used
>>to mix upper and lower case and want to say SUMMARY() or rowsums()?
>>2. Do you really thing it is annoying to type "R CMD" rather than
>>"Rcmd"? Hmm, anybody else has a space bar left for Gabor?
>>
>>Best,
>>Uwe
>>

>>>my Rcmd.bat batch file so its not really an issue for me.
>

> It was claimed its portable and that is true in the strictest sense that it
> works on both UNIX and Windows but it would be even more
> desirable if it were not just portable but also worked the way the target
> system worked rather than just acting like a UNIX utility does
> on Windows.  Ideally it would work as other Windows utilities work,
> e.g. note that we run the following using upper and lower case and
> get the same result:
>
> C:> net use ?
> The syntax of this command is:
> NET USE
> [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
>
> C:> NET USE ?
> The syntax of this command is:
> NET USE
> [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]

No! That something completely different: If Windows allows to use "net
use" and "NET USE" even if only the latter is the documeted way, OK.
These are, as you mentioned yourself, *Windows utilities* and you don't
want to port this syntax.

But if you type "R cmd", it is no longer portable, and "Rcmd" for sure
is not. "R CMD" is an R utility --- and R behaves case senstive.

Uwe Ligges