[Rd] ActiveState Perl, cygwin and R (was: cygwin tar?)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Jul 11 14:56:21 CEST 2005

On 7/11/2005 8:30 AM, Gorjanc Gregor wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have just read mails in thread
>
> <http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/devel/04a/0583.html>
>
> about problems with Cygwin and Rtools. I had the same problems and kept
> just the newest cygwin1.dll and things seem OK now. However I
> currently hit the problem with Perl (I have ActiveState and Cygwin Perl
> installed). When I tried to work with 'Rdconv' in Cygwin I get the following:
>
> $ R CMD Rdconv --help
> Can't locate R/Rdconv.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
> c \Programs\R\rw2011beta\share\perl; /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/cygwin
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8/cygwin
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8 .) at c:\Programs\R\rw2011beta/bin/Rdconv
> line 25.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at c:\Programs\R\rw2011beta/bin/Rdconv line 25.
>
> As far as I understand there is a problem since Cygwins perl does not
> have things properly setup. I did not touch anything yet. But I can see the
> problem in first entry of @INC. There should be /cygdrive/c/.. or c:/ (I do
> not know if the last one actually works with Cygwins perl) and therefore
> things are broken.
>
> If I modified PATH such that ActiveState Perl was before Cygwins Perl,
> everyting was as expected.
>
> Is there a way to overcome this with Cygwins Perl?

I think you need to ask on a Cygwin list, but my guess is that it won't
be easy.  Rcmd puts $R_HOME\share\perl in the PERL5LIB environment
variable.  Cygwin programs tend not to understand Windows paths like
that.  There may be a way to write a wrapper to convert the variable so
that Cygwin's perl understands it, or a configuration flag, but I'd say
it's easier to use the ActiveState perl.

Rgui is a Windows program, not a Cygwin one.

Duncan Murdoch