[Rd] Computer algebra in R - would that be an idea??

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Jul 13 11:56:51 CEST 2005

Robin Hankin <r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi guys
>
> another option would be David Gillespie's  "calc", which is written
> in emacs lisp.
>
> This is a stable system with (AFAICS) as large user base.
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be actively developed, as the last
> stable version (2.02f)
> appears to be 1996.  I don't know if this would be a contraindication.

Heh. I remember trying calc when it was still relatively new. Never
got to be very productive with it. I suppose that's sort of a
contraindication (it might just be the user of course).

The two ideas that Simon and Gabor brought up bouth sound like they
might fly. Especially the existence of something with a Python
interface sounds attractive, since that might not be too hard to clone
or paraphrase in R.