[Rd] Computer algebra in R - would that be an idea??

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 21:15:42 CEST 2005

On 7/17/05, Ayal Pinkus <apinkus at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> > R builds fine under Windows (though you need to pay attention to
> > the details
> > which are in the (binary) distribution in the pdf files, in
> > particular: `R
> > Installation and Administration Manual', a html copy is also on the
> > website;
> > and the README* and INSTALL files in src/gnuwin32/ ).  These
> > details look
> > tedious at first, and you may have to install a few things, but it
> > keeps the
> > sources closely tied between Windoze and the Unixish operating
> > systems on
> > which many of us prefer to develop.
> >

> Ok. Unfortunately I work on a Mac OS X at home (I have access to
> Windows, MS DevStudio
> at work but want to keep work and hobby separate). I do work with
> Xcode (have to
> delve deeper in to Cocoa still though). Can integration also be done
> on Mac OS X?
> If I understood correctly you go the COM route for integration on
> Windows?
>
> CrystalSpace is a 3d engine that has a COM simulation layer for Unix-
> style platforms
> I think (last time I looked was a few years back). It would
> essentially be a thin layer
> to implementations of abstract classes.
>
> I did download R for Mac OS X. It is quite a nice package! I wish I
> had looked at it earlier.
> You did a very good job on the user interface.

Note that there are also quite a few addon GUIs that various people have
created for R, as well.  See
  http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/
where they are listed down the left hand side of the page.  JGR, and possibly
several others on the list, are written in Java.  R can also be accessed
directly online at:
  http://www.math.montana.edu/Rweb/
and other sites.