[Rd] Error registering finalizer

Paul Roebuck roebuck at odin.mdacc.tmc.edu
Wed Jul 27 02:54:59 CEST 2005

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Paul Roebuck wrote:

> What exactly is a reference object? I'm getting this error
> message attempting to register a finalizer:
>
>         can only weakly reference/finalize reference objects

Still don't have an explanation for the above but the code
now works with the following mods.

-static void ProbesetGE_finalizer(SEXP vntData)
+static void ProbesetGE_finalizer(SEXP vntHandle)

-R_RegisterCFinalizer(vntData, (R_CFinalizer_t)ProbesetGE_finalizer);
+R_RegisterCFinalizer(vntHandle, (R_CFinalizer_t)ProbesetGE_finalizer);

Original thought was that a finalizer was a routine that
ran prior to an object's destruction (like a destructor).
Apparently, only certain objects can have finalizers.