[Rd] evaluating variance functions in nlme

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Thu Jul 28 15:31:35 CEST 2005

Hi,
The reason I didn't send this to r-help is I am not interested in just
evaluating the variance function
for a particular set of data. That is not a big deal,
for your example,
pp<-predict(fm1,list(weight=c(15,16)))
vf<-pp^2*(coef(fm1$modelStruct$varFunc))

which is not the point. The point is that for any fit when I use my
function
mypredict(fm1,se.fit=TRUE)

To get the standard error I will need to evaluate an arbitrary variance
function,
Which means parsing the formula to get the terms and retriving those
terms from the input
dataframe, evaluating them properly and then assembling the coeficients
in the right way
for the variance function.

So this was not a how do I evaluate the variance function for model x
question,
but asking help for a generic function to evaluate variance functions
when doing prediction.

Thanks,
Nicholas