[Rd] octonions

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Fri Jul 29 22:12:13 CEST 2005

It's reasonably easy to define an S3 class for vectors (e.g.,
"octonion") and then define operator methods (for all operators other
than matrix operators) to do what you want with that class.  To do this
you need to define a function Ops.octonion.  All of this is easily done
in pure R. I just wrote a package that does just that for a vector class
with a different algebra (I can send you a copy if you could use any
hints on those aspects).  I'm not sure of the best way of defining a
method for '%*%'.   I think it's possible to use setMethod() to define a
method for '%*%', but I haven't played with that much (my initial
attempts have worked, but warnings have been generated by setMethod).

-- Tony Plate