[Rd] Wishlist: more flexible handling of tick labels in axis.Date (PR#7914)

murdoch at stats.uwo.ca murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Jun 2 14:48:08 CEST 2005

I think allowing the user to change the labels is a good idea, but have
some nitpicking about the details.

- Could you grab a copy of the current axis.Date source from

https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/library/graphics/R/datetime.R

and edit that, rather than what you see in R?  There are some comments
in the source that shouldn't be lost.  This will also mean that it's
easier to detect what changes you've made.

- I'd prefer the interpretation of the labels argument to be very
similar to what axis() does, i.e. NULL should not be treated specially.
(Actually, I think axis() treats labels=NULL as TRUE, but that's
undocumented and might be an accident.)

- axis.POSIXct() should be modified in a corresponding way.

- Your test

  if (missing(labels) || labels == TRUE)

will generate warnings if a vector of labels is passed in.  A better
test is "identical(labels, TRUE)".

- If you set the default value for labels to TRUE, then you don't need
the "missing(labels)" part of the test.

- Could you also edit

https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/library/graphics/man/axis.POSIXct.Rd

to reflect your changes?

If you want help with this feel free to contact me off the list; when
you're done, you can send me the files and I'll review and commit the
changes.

Duncan Murdoch