[Rd] Re: [R] Problem going back to a viewport with gridBase

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jun 8 03:47:27 CEST 2005

Hi

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> On 6/7/05, Paul Murrell <p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>

>>Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

>>>Perhaps accessor functions could be provided that allow one to
>>>retrieve the name of a viewport and the name of a vpPath in
>>>a safe way.  These could be as simple as:
>>>
>>>names.viewport <- names.vpPath <- function(x) x$name
>>

>>Fair enough.  If I say "use the API", I should provide a useful API :)
>>
>>This is a reasonable request for viewports;  the "name" component of a
>>viewport is a sensible thing to want.
>>
>>OTOH, it is not necessarily reasonable for a viewport path;  not all
>>components of an object should necessarily have accessors.  The "name"
>>component of a viewport path is the last element in the path.  Perhaps
>>an API should be supplied for extracting parts of a viewport path, but
>>it should probably be something along the lines of car()/cdr() or
>>head()/tail() or explode() to get different bits of the path.
>>
>>Accessing the children of a viewport is subtly problematic too.
>>Directly accessing the "children" slot and using the order of the
>>children in that slot is "dangerous" because there is no claim made by
>>the system as to how the children are internally ordered.  Again, it
>>works currently, but it makes incorrect assumptions about what the
>>system is doing internally so is vulnerable to future changes.
>

> That is the point of an accessor.  If the internals change then the
> accessor is modified to hide the change so that the user using the
> accessor is not impacted.
>
> It seems that grid already partly supports this with the childNames
> function.  It could be made generic and a method provided
> to cover the classes discussed here too.

I agree that a childNames() method for a viewport tree is probably
reasonable.  The subtle problem is the fact that your code makes use of
the *order* of the names that function would return, when in fact there
is no claim that they will be in any particular order.

Paul

paul at stat.auckland.ac.nz
http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~paul/