[Rd] Suggestion: help(<package name>)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jun 8 06:24:34 CEST 2005

Liaw, Andy wrote:
> Let me add to the pot:
>
> I think Robert and Brian are against imposing additional _requirement_ on
> packages to provide an overview in .Rd, and I tend to agree with that
> sentiment.
>
> However, if such a facility is made optional (like vignettes) for package
> author/maintainer, then I have no problem with it.  Perhaps it can work like
> the CITATION file:  The package author/maintainer can choose to (or not to)
> use it.  If one is not provided in the package source, then something
> halfway sensible is auto-generated from various files (or perhaps just runs
> help(package="<pkg>").
>
> Or perhaps yet another function can be added to the `utils' package, like
> packageOverview(), which can either:
> - open an overview vignette if one is provided
> - open the overview .Rd in whatever format the default help is in
> - run help(package="<pkg>") if neither is available

We don't have a standard name for an overview vignette, and I don't like
the idea of creating a new help function (packageOverview) that someone
who doesn't know much about R will have to find before they can use, but
I like the idea of the help system doing its best to help.

So I'd like this better if it were modified so that ?foo tries the following

  - to open help alias foo
  - if that fails, and foo is a package name:
    - tries to open a vignette with some standard name (proposals?)
    - if that fails, then does help(package="foo")

This has the disadvantage over the original proposal that help pages
can't link to a standard help topic for the package, so I like the
original better, but this would be better than the status quo.

Duncan Murdoch