[Rd] Suggestion: help(<package name>)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jun 8 13:05:21 CEST 2005

Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> It seems that it comes down to two things: 1) a standard Rd topic or
> alias <pkg>.package, and 2) enforcing this standard with R CMD check.
>
> Pro's and con's for (1):
>
> Pros:
> - Easy to find overview information on a package, that is, you know
> *where* to find it.
> - Allows a packages to link to another package.
> - Shows up in the HTML index page.
> - The <pkg>.package.html can be included on the CRAN package overview.
> This can then also become the author's "webpage" (kiosk?) for the
> package including installation instructions, license, future plans etc.
> Searchable on the web (==you can get information before trying to
> download/install, which sometimes fails; catch 22.)
>
> Cons:
> - Conflicts with other topic of the same name.
> - "Just another vignette" (?)
>

> Pro's and con's for (2):
>
> Pros:
> - Guarantees that a package can link to another package.
> - Standard immediately adopted.
>
> Cons:
> - Requires more maintainance.
> - Without automatic tools, redundancy is introduced (more maintainance).
>

> My comments:
>
> I think it is hard to argue that a standard similar to (1) is unwanted.
> Also, I don't think anyone has objected on this. The objection has been
> on (2). So my suggestion is that one writes up a standard on (1) and
> *ask* developers to follow it.
>
> If enforcement by R CMD check (2) was implemented too, then I think it
> only requires a single \alias{<pkg>.package} in any of the Rd files,
> because as far as I understand it at least one is required. This would
> not require much work ("almost cheap"). This would guarantee a link at
> least to something. A more advanced version is that the <pkg>.package.Rd
> file is automatically created by R CMD build if missing ("zero cost").

I really like this "zero cost" option.  I think it addresses the main
problem with the proposal (all the work for package writers that it
creates), while keeping the main benefit (a standard place for package
help *within the help system*).

It might be tricky to implement (the build tools aren't all in R and
aren't consistent across platforms), but it seems like a reasonable
compromise to me.

Duncan Murdoch