[Rd] NEWS, WISHLIST, THANKS

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 22:16:21 CEST 2005

On 6/9/05, Achim Zeileis <Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:41:32 -0400 Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>
> > I have NEWS, WISHLIST and THANKS files in the 'dyn' package
> > in the same directory as the DESCRIPTION file but I noticed that they
> > did not survive the move to CRAN, at least on Windows.
>
> Moving to CRAN per se has nothing to do with this. If the files have
> been in the source package you submitted (they have been, including a
> safety copy DESCRIPTION~ which you might want to eliminate in future
> versions), they are also in the source package on CRAN.
> The point is that they are not installed and hence not included in
> binary packages.
>
> > How do I incorporate them so that they are not omitted?
>
> Put them into the inst/ subdirectory, then they will also be installed.

Thanks, all.  I think the manual could be more specific on this point.
I reread it based on Duncan's comment but did not see the advice
given in this thread there.  What it does say is that README, NEWS
and ChangeLog "will be ignored by R" but is that supposed to mean
that it deletes them or just does not process them as part of the
automated documentation or what?  I guess it means that it
does not propogate them into the installed version but if that's the
case it should say so and tell you what to do to get them to
appear.

Just to confirm I assume that if I place these files  and also the README
which I forgot to mention) in inst they automatically get copied to the main
directory at installation (where my DESCRIPTION file is) -- or is there
something that I have to do to have this happen?