[Rd] single assignment affecting multiple sub-structures (PR#7924)

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Sat Jun 11 15:18:53 CEST 2005

Yes, actually, I have had code using do.call() that returns the result I
want working for years.  However, I've been trying to reduce the memory
usage of my code, and I discovered that in S-PLUS, do.call() appears to
make a extra copy of its arguments.  When the arguments are very large,
this can be important.  I found that by constructing a call like the one
below, and eval()ing it, S-PLUS would not make unnecessary copies of the
arguments.

However, when I tried the same code in R, I found the bug that I
described below.

-- Tony Plate