[Rd] Citation for R

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Jun 14 08:52:38 CEST 2005

Gordon Smyth wrote:

>>Note also that R does have a User Guide, i.e., while there is plenty of
>>excellent documentation,
>>there is no single document which is a guide to the whole project.
>

> Oops, I meant to write "R does not have a User Guide".
>
> Just to explain this further, the citation() function asks me to cite a
> "Manual" with the title "R: A language and environment for statistical
> computing". Although R comes with excellent documentation, including at
> least 6 manuals on different aspects of the software, no manual or document
> with that title actually exists, as far as I know.

It does: Some poeople might refer to the same manual with "R Reference
index", but this is actually the one you cited above.

BTW: In both of my last two reviews for medical journals I criticized
(not only) the missing citation of software ... (obviously political
incorrectly, but I'll do so further on ;-))

Uwe Ligges