[Rd] operators as S4 methods

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Jun 14 10:13:26 CEST 2005

For arithmetic operators,
the most elegant way often is to define so called `group methods'
for the whole group of arithmetic operators.

This actually applies also applies to the old classes and
methods.

One example where we do this is the 'Matrix' package,
see the source, e.g., in
https://svn.r-project.org/R-packages/Matrix/R/dMatrix.R

Note that for a namespaced package, on also needs to import the
group generics from the 'methods' package in NAMESPACE:

## Currently, group generics need to be explicitly imported:
importFrom("methods", Arith, Compare, Math, Math2, Summary, Complex)

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich