[Rd] Citation for R

Simon Blomberg Simon.Blomberg at anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 15 03:17:02 CEST 2005

As a biologist, I have been following this thread with interest.

I don't understand how someone can truly peer-review any software
without access to the source. Surely R is the only major environment
for statistical programming that _can_ be peer-reviewed in that
sense. (The BUGS project is heading in that direction with OpenBUGS.)
All the others (SAS, SPSS etc.) rely on their "prestige", since they
are unwilling to show us exactly how they do their computations.

I agree that the citation problem is not a bug in R, but a bug in the
publishers. It is up to the users to aggressively tackle resistance
to citing correctly published software (ie software with an ISBN
number,as opposed to in-house publishing of User manuals etc.).
Perhaps the R Development Core Team could provide  a position
statement on the citation and publication of R that could be used to
convince editors that the current citation method for R is correct
and appropriate. If it were signed by all the members, with their
academic affiliations, it would be hard for editors to disagree.

Simon.

>On 14-Jun-05 A.J. Rossini wrote:
>>  Fritz -
>>
>>  That's silly.  As someone pointed out, the issue is with the
>>  publisher, not the citation.  If R-Core were a generally well-known
>>  and regarded publishing house such as Springer or Microsoft, it would
>>  not be a problem.  But it's still a nebulous entity to MANY people,
>>  and so many people fail to understand this open source stuff.  It's
>>  seriously discouraged by most journals to cite technical reports, for
>>  example.  And perhaps, R could be considered more of a long-ish
>>  technical report than a book?   Though perhaps Peter D. could be
>>  considered the "editor"?  (these questions are not those that I need
>>  to ask, obviously!)
>>
>>  (just yesterday, I was asked by a reasonably intelligent colleague,
>>  with respect to corporate packaging of R: "So they (corporate
>>  packagers) just pick some version and package it, right?"  and my
>>  flabbergasted response was:
>>
>>  "and so, what the heck do you think they (corporate packagers) do with
>>  SAS, S-PLUS, and SPSS, and why do you think it's different...?").
>>
>>  best,
>>  -tony
>
>Tony is getting admirably and justifiably tetchy! His comment
>about the packaging of SAS, S-PLUS and SPSS is delightfully
>to the point (and, had I been there at the time, I'd have
>bought him a beverage of his choice in appreciation).
>
>And, to extend his comment, where for instance does that leave
>WinBUGS (see my previous mail)? Granted, perhaps, that in the
>citation
>

>   Spiegelhalter, D. J., Thomas, A. and Best, N. G. (2000)
>     WinBUGS Version 1.3 User Manual. Cambridge: Medical Research
>     Council Biostatistics Unit.
>     (Available from www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/bugs.)
>

>one has a prestigious institute (MRC-BSU) as the publisher.
>But, basically, it's the same self-justifiying ordinance all
>over again: the creators of the software produce their own
>User Manual and "publish" it. The publisher of S-PLUS and its
>documentation is "Insightful Corporation": beyond their
>achievement in developing S-PLUS, whence their prestige?
>(Granted, again, if you look inside the books, you can find
>famous names listed as contributors; but we at R can claim
>many of these same names ... ).
>
>The issue of "peer review" of software citations has been
>raised. Where is the peer review of the S-PLUS or SAS or
>SPSS User Manual? OK, the thing that needs peer review is
>the software itself. In the "Review" section of journals
>you can find critical reviews of software. But these are
>not referee'd and usually represent the writer's own views;
>furthermore, such reviews are not often cited in articles
>where the software has been used to obtain the results in
>the article. People just use the stuff, and cite the User
>Manual or the "corporate packager".
>
>Also, from time to time you come across published referee'd
> [...]

Simon Blomberg, B.Sc.(Hons.), Ph.D, M.App.Stat.
Visiting Fellow
School of Botany & Zoology
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200