[Rd] Calling C function from Fortran

Gilles GUILLOT gilles.guillot at inapg.inra.fr
Wed Jun 15 13:41:37 CEST 2005

Hi all,

the example in the R doc
and the hints from Shusong Jin ,  Ingmar Visser and Reid Huntsinger
(thanks all three) refer to the case where the function does not have
arguments.
I'm still looking for a proper sequence of commands
to call C functions with arguemnts from R.

Imagine I want to evaluate the gamma function.
I want to use the C function called by R.
(I guess it is the one corresponding to the source code
 I found in the directory  R-2.1.0/src/nmath/gamma.c
of the source distribution).

The following programs do not work (it returns fancy values)

#include <R.h>
#include <Rmath.h>
void F77_SUB(mygammac)(double x, double y) { y = gammafn(x); }

   subroutine mygammaf(x,y)
   double precision x,y
   call mygammac(x,y)
   end

called in R through
x <- 3
y <- -999
res <- .Fortran("mygammaf",
                as.double(x),
                as.double(y))

While changing the C code into
#include <R.h>
#include <Rmath.h>
void F77_SUB(mygammac)(double *x, double *y) { *y = gammafn(*x); }

seems to work fine.
But  R-2.1.0/src/nmath/gamma.c does not need a pointer ?

What is wrong whit he first set of lines ?

What is the correct way to call the C function in R-2.1.0/src/nmath/gamma.c ?

Thanks in advance

Gilles