[Rd] write.table confused by rownames/colnames (PR#7941)

ligges@statistik.uni-dortmund.de ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Jun 15 14:52:44 CEST 2005

rasche at molgen.mpg.de wrote:

> Full_Name: Axel Rasche
> Version: 2.1.0
> OS: Win2000
> Submission from: (NULL) (141.14.21.81)
>

> Hi,
>
> write.table does not accept the second statement with
>     <col.names = NA, row.names = FALSE>.
> I do not see why this should not be possible.
>
> test = matrix(1:4, 2, 2, dimnames = list( c("a","b"), c("c","d") ))
> write.table(test, file = "test.txt", sep = "\t", quote = FALSE,
> 	col.names = NA, row.names = FALSE)

 From my point of view one should not expect NA to work, but the help
page says a "logical" is allowed and gives a correpsonding "NA" example,
hence it is a bug, either in the help page or in the code.
I'd vote for changing the help and depreciating NA for
col.names/row.names, because I do not know what NA is expected to do and
therefore I could not provide any bugfix for the code ...

Uwe Ligges