[Rd] Rgui bug in Windows: leftover download dialog (PR#7964)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 23 19:23:39 CEST 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 murdoch at stats.uwo.ca wrote:

> On 6/22/2005 4:15 PM, murdoch at stats.uwo.ca wrote:
>> In Windows, if a download is interrupted (by switching to the console
>> window and hitting ESC), the download status dialog can be left
>> onscreen, with no apparent way to get rid of it (other than stopping and
>> restarting R).
>>
>> To duplicate:
>>
>> Run this:
>>
>> a <- available.packages()
>> download.packages(a, 'c:/temp')
>>
>> Then, during a particularly long download, switch to the console window
>> and hit ESC.
>>
>> This affects R-devel, as well as 2.1.1.
>
> Now fixed in R-devel and R-patched.  I also set it so the dialog retains
> its position if you move it out of the way; it was pretty irritating to
> have it pop up in the middle of the screen every time in a multiple file
> download.

I don't think you can do simultaneous downloads, and is not the `it'
different progress bar windows?

Do you mean that the next instance of a progress bar will come up where
the last one was?  That seems not the standard ergonomics on GUI systems,
in which a new window is treated as a new window and not the same as an
old one.  I hate it when Windows puts Firefox up where I dragged the last
Firefox window (or even where another user dragged it).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk