[Rd] capabilities() and non-catchable messages

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Tue Jun 28 11:09:43 CEST 2005

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> Do you have DISPLAY set pointing to an X11 server you do not have
> access to?  It seems so.  The solution is to set your X11 settings
> properly.
>
> This is coming from Xlib (XOpenDisplay, I believe) and so is not an R
> error or warning, and is not output on an R connection but on a  C file.

Another clear answer/hint!  The sysadms of the host system just got back
to me and said that they set the DISPLAY on purpose in order to generate
bitmap graphics in R using X11.  The thing was that during the few days
when I was testing my plugin, the X11 server was unreachable due to DNS
problems after a power failure. There is always a simple answer ;)

Thanks

Henrik