[Rd] Processing files with AlphaX and R 2.0.1

Craig Barton Upright cupright at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 2 21:50:57 CET 2005

I am a volunteer developer for the text editor AlphaX

<http://alphatcl.sourceforge.net/wikit/>

and the author/maintainer of its "S+/R" mode.  We recently received this
note from a user:

I am trying to process files written and edited in AlphaXb16 through R
v2.0.1.  This has worked previously under the last version of AlphaX and
R 1.9.1.

Now when I select 'Process File' under the S+/R menu, the program
switches to R and the file is pasted into a new edit window in R, rather
than the contents being processed by R, which is what happened with
earlier versions.

I am not able to figure out how to get the previous, desirable behavior
back.  Any suggestions on how to proceed?

AlphaX's "Process File" command uses a very generic AppleEvent to send
and "open" the file in R, using the "TclAE" API created by Jon Guyer.

<http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/tclae/>

This API does allow for more sophisticated AppleEvents to be constructed
and passed on.  I've searched the Release Notes announcements available
for R 2.0.0 and R 2.0.1

<https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-announce/2004/000792.html>
<https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-announce/2004/000795.html>

but I don't see any mention of how inter-application protocols might
have changed in version 2.x of R. If there is a better place for me to
look, please send along that url.  Or (even better) if there is some
documentation for AE interactions, I'll take a look at that as well.

cheers,

Craig Barton Upright