[Rd] Bug in handling of promises?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Mar 8 19:00:10 CET 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:44:41 +0000 (GMT), Prof Brian Ripley
<ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote :

>The following note in ?force may help
>
>Note:
>
>      'force' does not force the evaluation of promises.
>
>It is there because people have been confused before.

Yes, but it also says that it "forces the evaluation of a function
argument", which is what I was trying to do.

But mainly what may be a bug is the fact that H was available in env
but its value was not, even though it had already been evaluated in
that environment.

My examples were unnecessarily complicated last time, because they
were too much like the original.  Here are simpler versions:

> f <- function( H ) {
+     cat('Evaluate H to get ', H, '\n')
+     return(environment())
+ }

> env <- f( 1 )
Evaluate H to get  1