[Rd] delay of warning for things in .Rprofile

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Mar 9 00:44:31 CET 2005

Hi all,

I was playing with R-devel 2005-03-08 on winXP Pro (installed from Duncan's
installer).  My .Rprofile contains:

options(defaultPackages=c(getOption("defaultPackages"), "mypkg"),
        chmhelp=TRUE)

but "mypkg" has not yet been installed in the library/ directory of this
installation.  When Rgui starts, I do not get any error or warning, but upon
running one command, I get:

Warning messages:
1: there is no package called 'mypkg' in: library(package, character.only =
TRUE, logical = TRUE, warn.conflicts = warn.conflicts,
2: package mypkg in options("defaultPackages") was not found

This seems a bit strange...  I would expect the warning to show up before
the first prompt.  Is this intentional?

Best,
Andy

Andy Liaw, PhD
Biometrics Research      PO Box 2000, RY33-300
Merck Research Labs           Rahway, NJ 07065
andy_liaw <at> merck.com          732-594-0820