[Rd] Customizable R_HOME at build time

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Mar 11 22:47:14 CET 2005

Currently there is no way to specify R_HOME at build time - it is
hard-coded to ${prefix}/lib/R. This is slightly inconvenient for
special setups (e.g. installing different versions of R in parallel). I
was thinking of something like:

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-custom-R-home=/usr/share/R-2.0

which will use /usr/share/R-2.0 as R_HOME - otherwise it would use
/usr/lib/R

The following patch (against R-devel) implements that functionality,
allowing more flexible builds/installs. As a side-effect it finally
prints R_HOME in the configure summary.

Please let me know what you think ... (and yes, I know you don't have
to run make install so one could build it in target place, but I think
the above is more clean ..).

Cheers,
Simon