Write Barrier: was: [Rd] function-like macros undefined

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Mar 16 19:56:37 CET 2005

On Mar 16, 2005, at 1:34 PM, Vadim Ogranovich wrote:

> * suppose that inside a C function I have a SEXP vector x of integers
> and I want to increment each element by one. I understand that

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the write barrier
applies to assignments of SEXP values only (from the doc: "... must be
used for all assignments of SEXP pointers ..." - note it says "of", not
"to"). When dealing with REAL/INTEGER, I believe it's still safe to use
INTEGER(x)[0]=... IMHO that's logical, too, because primitive types
have no 'age' to be inherited when using ggc.

Cheers,
Simon