[Rd] .Call - applying setAttrib(x, R_DimSymbol, s) to a matrix being an element of a list

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 17 09:46:50 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Oleg Sklyar wrote:

> Dear Simon,
>
>> you gave us only a fragment of your code, so I can only guess what the
> problem is:
>
>> What is imgSize? The behavior you describe seems as if you re-using the
> imgSize SEXP in all elements.
>> AFAIR in your case setAttrib doesn't copy the value, so you need to do so
> yourself (or alloc new dim array
>> for each element).
>
> Sorry, it is always a tradeoff - either to explain or put a relatively large
> code, which also uses non-standard libraries making the code difficult to
> read. imgSize values are reset in between: see the full code below. The SEXP
> pointer imgSize stays in tact, that's true, but its values are changed (the
> problem is, they are always the last in the row). I.e. if I have 3 images
> 40x20, 200x100 and 150x75 I will get three matrices of 150x75, but if I omit
> setAtrib and return vectors I get vectors of different length.

So, as Simon says, you need to create separate objects for the dimensions
of each matrix, not share the object.  It is the object pointed to by
imgSize you have attached as the dimensions, not the values.

BTW, setAttrib(element, R_DimSymbol, imgSize) just calls dimgets(element,
imgSize), so I would have used the latter directly.

I believe you do not have three matrices of 150x75, rather a vector of
length 40*20 with an inconsistent dim attribute of c(150, 75), etc.