[Rd] Buglet in install.packages warning message

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 21 09:24:06 CET 2005

    Seth> I've been experimenting with install.packages and it's
    Seth> new ability to track down dependencies from a list of
    Seth> repositories and encountered this:

    Seth> install.packages(c("foo", "bar"),
    Seth> repos="http://cran.r-project.org",
    Seth> dependencies=c("Depends", "Suggests"))

    Seth> dependencies 'foo' are not availabledependencies 'bar'
    Seth> are not available ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Seth> With the following change (see below) I get what I
    Seth> suspect is the intended warning message:

    Seth>    dependencies 'foo', 'bar' are not available

Indeed.
Thank you Seth! - I've committed your change
to be in '` R-alpha of 2005-03-22 ''

Apropos: Please, all users of R-2.1.0 (alpha)  {aka "R-devel"}:
	  ``keep your eyes open'' for not quite correctly
	  formatted error messages, or even other problems in
	  error and warning messages.

The large amount of work that was put in (mostly by Prof Brian
Ripley) rationalizing these messages in order to make them
more consistent (for translation, e.g.!) may have lead to a few
typos that are unavoidable when changing those thousand of
lines of code efficiently.

Martin