[Rd] RE: as.numeric method for objects of class "difftime"

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun May 1 06:40:51 CEST 2005

I am very surprised that people would expect as.numeric to do something
meaningful on time differences (or times, come to that).  Perhaps the best
thing is to stop it altogether.

The selection of "auto" was the best for the original purpose: people in
general do not want a difference of 3 days expressed in seconds.  The
problems only arise if the result is unclassed, and I still do not
understand why that is a reasonable thing to do.