[Rd] RE: as.numeric method for objects of class "difftime"

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Sun May 1 08:32:56 CEST 2005

Brian,

: -----Original Message-----
: From: Prof Brian Ripley [mailto:ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk]
: Sent: Sunday, 1 May 2005 2:41 PM
: To: Venables, Bill (CMIS, Cleveland)
: Cc: r-devel at stat.math.ethz.ch
: Subject: Re: [Rd] RE: as.numeric method for objects of class
: "difftime"
:
: I am very surprised that people would expect as.numeric to do
: something
: meaningful on time differences (or times, come to that).
: Perhaps the best
: thing is to stop it altogether.

This would enforce one particular interpretation that may
inhibit legitimate but unanticipated alternative uses.

:
: The selection of "auto" was the best for the original
: purpose: people in
: general do not want a difference of 3 days expressed in seconds.  The
: problems only arise if the result is unclassed, and I still do not
: understand why that is a reasonable thing to do.

No, they may not want the answer in seconds, but if they have
a vector of time differences that includes zero they'll get
them all in seconds anyway.

Let me encapsulate my problem with an example.  I want to use
"elapsed time" as a predictor.  I don't particularly care what
units the time lag is in, so long as they are all in the _same_
units.  What I don't like about the present default is this
kind of possibility:

> d <- as.POSIXct(paste(2005, 5, 1:3, sep="-"))
> origin <- d[1]

> as.numeric(d - origin)
[1]      0  86400 172800

> as.numeric(d[-1] - origin)