[Rd] MacOS X: update.packages(type="mac.binary") fails (PR#7836)

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Wed May 4 10:20:03 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 09:01 +0100, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> > This still requires a fix in passing type in update.packages() that B.
> > Ripley already did for R 2.1.1, or setting
> > options(pkgType="mac.binary").
>
> This should not be required. What does .Platform say?

I don't know: R fails to start again in my Mac ("The application R has
unexpectedly quit.") Re-installation and removing all .RData
and .Rhistory do not help this time either (that was the time between
receiving this message and answering now). However, it was the
R-2.1.0.dmg I got from CRAN, I started it in Mac way (clicking the
icon), it was the Mac graphical window. Further, I had checked ?options
which said that default package type in this case should be
"mac.binary". Still it wasn't, but it was "source". I didn't check
the .Platform that time, only pkgType.

It seems that I'll quit using R in MacOS X for a while, since she quits
me in the startup anyway (fortunately I have Linux as my main
environment).

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen -- Dept Biology, Univ Oulu, 90014 Oulu, Finland
Ph. +358 8 5531526, cell +358 40 5136529, fax +358 8 5531061