[Rd] Cost of method dispatching: was: when can we expect Prof Tierney's compiled R?

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Wed May 4 15:26:31 CEST 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> Vadim Ogranovich wrote:

Let's slow down here.  In

     function(x, iA) for (i in iA) x[i] = c(1.0)

there are three functions in the body, [<-, [, and c.  All are
.Primitives with internal C implementations for which methods can be
written.  These implementations all look roughly like this:

     if (method is available)
         call the method
     else { C default code }

The test of whether methods are available first looks at a bit.  If
that bit is not set there are guaranteed not to be any methods.  Only
if that bit is set does any further search for methods happen.  In
this example, and in most uses of these functions, that bit is not
set, so dispatch involves testing one bit.  This most important case
has already been optimized.  Further optimizing cases where methods
migth be available might be worth doing and will happen over time as
we learn what is necessary and feasible and where bottlenecks are.
But this sort of thing has to be done with care.  Here, however, this
just is not an issue.

The default code for [<- might well merit another look--I suspect it
has not been as heavily optiized as the default code for [.  How much
difference this will make to realistic code and whether the cost of
implementation/maintenance is worth while is not clear.

On additional allocations: that is the function call mechanism of the
interpreter.  This could be done differently, but given the semantics
of argument matching and ... arguments there is a limit on what an
interpreter can realistically do.  Again, whether the cost of making
changes to the function call mechanism in terms of both implementation
cost and maintenance cost is justified is not clear.  Some of us are
likely to look at the function call overhead sometime this summer; I
would't want to bet on the outcome though.

luke

--
Luke Tierney
Chair, Statistics and Actuarial Science