[Rd] make hanging during compile of r-patched/R-devel on Fedora Core 3

Wed May 4 21:38:58 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 21:15 +0200, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> Gavin Simpson <gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Basically, the LAPACK in FC3 is broken because it was compiled with
> > gcc-3.4 and that introduced errors when -O2 optimisations were used to
> > compile the rpm. That bug was recently reopened so there may be the
> > possibility of the FC3 rpm being updated (the underlying problem has
> > been fixed by compiling with lower optimisation).
>
> There's a pending update on lapack/blas now, which may or may not fix
> the issue (no announcement in the archives).
>
> Any clue whether there is any benefit in using the FC3 versions over
> the versions that ships with R?

Peter,

I cannot offer an authoritative response here and perhaps Gavin has
other information.

Recognizing "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence", I have
not seen anything (benchmarks, etc.) to suggest that there is an
advantage.

Regards,

Marc