[Rd] make hanging during compile of r-patched/R-devel on Fedora Core 3

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu May 5 10:24:08 CEST 2005

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> > Any clue whether there is any benefit in using the FC3 versions over
> > the versions that ships with R?
>
> Yes: at least for earlier versions, none. (See the comments in the
> R-admin manual I quoted yesterday which no one else seems to have
> read.)

I did know about them. I was being mildly sarcastic and partly
curious.

In principle, having lapack/blas maintained as part of the
distributions would be good, especially if they could sort out the
(nontrivial) processor-specific tuning issues. Currently, the RPMs of
R for both SuSE and Fedora ship with minimal tuning, and you need to
compile your own version to take advantage of (say) an ATLAS blas.
This is not hard to do, but you lose the niceties of the RPM system
with respect to upgrades, dependencies and all that.

In practice, if the distributions also ship minimally tuned libs, and
buggy ones too, the point gets rather moot.