[Rd] can't build packages anymore...

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon May 9 08:36:18 CEST 2005

Jeff D. Hamann wrote:

> R developers,
>
> I've been happily building packages, under windows, for some time now
> and upgraded to R 2.1.0 and now when I attempt to build a package, I get
> the following errors...
>

> C:\conifers>rcmd build Rconifers
> * checking for file 'Rconifers/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
> * preparing 'Rconifers':
> * checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
> * cleaning src
> * checking whether 'INDEX' is up-to-date ... OK
> * removing junk files
> /cygdrive/C/conifers/Rconifers_0.0-3.tar
> tar: /cygdrive/C/conifers/Rconifers_0.0-3.tar: Cannot open: No such file
> or directory
> tar: /cygdrive/C/conifers/Rconifers_0.0-3.tar: Cannot open: No such file
> or directory
> Error: cannot open file 'Rconifers/DESCRIPTION' for reading
>
> C:\conifers>
>
> When I attempt to create a tar archive by hand, it seems to work just
> fine (the creation of the tar file that is). So I thought I check out
> the build script to see where the problem was (not that I knew how to
> change it.. but it never hurts to look). I found the following lines:
>
>    my $filename = "${pkgname}_" . $description->{"Version"} . ".tar";
>    my $filepath = &file_path($startdir, $filename);
>    ## under Windows, need separate Cygwin and Windows versions of path.
>    my $origfilepath = $filepath;
>
>    if($WINDOWS) {
> ## workaround for paths in Cygwin tar
> $filepath =~ s+^([A-Za-x]):+/cygdrive/\1+;
>    }

Jeff, is this the recent version of MinGW, Perl and the tools?

> And I'm not sure why that's in there. Aren't packages that are built
> under Windows using the Mingw and MSYS tools exclusively? Should they?
> Could they?

Yes, MinGW, and the tools which are based on some cygwin sources, AFAIK.
But you must not have any other cygwin directory in your path.

As you can see from the Windows binary package section on CRAN, building
packages works perfectly well for us.

If it still does not work for you, you might want to start from scratch
by cleaning up your path and following the instructions given in the "R
Installation and Administration" manual.

Uwe