[Rd] bug, feature of mistery?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed May 11 08:40:02 CEST 2005

Giuseppe Ragusa wrote:

> I have two machines a linux_amd64_x86 (gentoo_amd64) and a linux_x86. Both run
> R-2.1.0. I have a very long program (hopefully will become a package)
> that works perfectly on the linux_amd_x64. Great means no error, no
> problems and results that, where the analytic solution exists,
> coincide with it. I have problem making the code run on the x64 machine. I
> am baffled. The same code on the same version of R, different arch,
> is behaving differently.
>
> After hour of debugging, I traced down what is triggering the error on
> the x86 machine.
>
> the code snippet is the following similar to:
>

> g <- h(d)
>
> f <- function( lambda )
> {
> z <- g %*% lambda
> sum( psi(z) )
> }
>
> optim( init.value, f )
>

> The function f() is using lexical scoping to get obtain g. The
> function psi() is a call to a wrapper function that call a (.C) C
> function doing some simple calculation on z.

- Where is *lexical* scoping involved?

- Are you really calling you code from a clean workspace?

- Why don't use pass "g" through optim() to f? Please do so, because it
might be a scoping problem.

- The .C call in psi() should not matter unless you are doing strange
things in the part you omitted (...).

Uwe Ligges