[Rd] Implementing R on IBM p690 cluster Jump

Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 12 20:44:48 CEST 2005

As far as I know R 2.0.1 was built on AIX.  A quick diff

gannet% diff ~/R/R-2.0.1/src/modules/X11/Makefile
~/R/R-2.1.0/src/modules/X11/Makefile
54c54
<       $(SHLIB_LINK) -o $@ $(R_X11_la_LDFLAGS) $(R_X11_la_OBJECTS)
$(R_X11_la_LIBADD) $(LIBS)
---
>       $(SHLIB_LINK) -o $@ $(R_X11_la_LDFLAGS) $(R_X11_la_OBJECTS)
$(R_X11_la_LIBADD)
128c128,129
<   ../../../src/include/Rmodules/RX11.h
---
>   ../../../src/include/Rmodules/RX11.h \
>   ../../../src/include/Rconnections.h

suggests that AIX (alone) required $(LIBS) there.  As it is harmful on
some other platforms (the intention is to pick up entry points in
R.bin/libR rather than duplicate copies of static libraries) I suspect we
need an AIX-specific workaround (in particular the libintl library is not
going to be in LIBS).

This probably applies to other modules and even shared objects in
packages.

Is there anyone with an AIX machine who is able to work through this and
provide appropriate diffs?