[Rd] Memory question on R

roger bos roger.bos at gmail.com
Fri May 20 15:35:56 CEST 2005

Lin,

I don't know about hyperthreading, but on my 4GB XP machine I can read
in very large data files to the extend that Windows Task Manager shows
the Rgui is using 2.3 to 2.7 GB.  Further, I can run automated
simulations on this data all weekend with the processor at 99% without
the system or R crashing.  But to do this I had to modify the header
file to make Rgui /LARGEADDRESSAWARE.  There is a FAQ which describes
how to do this.  Let me know if you cannot find it.

However, it may be worth checking your code and seeing if there is
anyway you can avoid recursiveness as this may be not memory
efficient.

This is definitely a R-help questions.  Rd is for bug reports and such.

Thanks,

Roger