[Rd] Rout for library/base/R-ex/Extract.data.frame.R

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Wed May 25 16:44:11 CEST 2005

Martin Maechler wrote:

>     UweL> Vadim Ogranovich wrote:
>     >> Hi,
>     >>
>     >> I am writing a light-weight data frame class and want to
>     >> borrow the test cases from the standard data frame. I
>     >> found the test cases in
>     >> library/base/R-ex/Extract.data.frame.R, but surprisingly
>     >> no corresponding .Rout files. In fact there is no *.Rout
>     >> file in the entire tarball. Not that I cann't generate
>     >> them, but I am just curious why they are not there? How
>     >> does the base package get tested?
>     >>
>     >> Thanks, Vadim
>
>     UweL> The base packages have their test cases in ...R/tests
>     UweL> rather than ....R/src/library/packagename
>
> yes, and the *examples* from the help pages are just run, and
> not compared to prespecified output in *.Rout.save (sic!) files.
> In an *installed* (not the source!) version of R or an R package
> you find the R code for all the examples from the help pages
> in <pkg>/R-ex/*.R.
> That's the same for all R packages, not just the standard
> packages.

Vadim

I'll expand a bit on Martin's comment. It is hard to test the output of
all examples because some examples use random numbers, and for others
the precision may vary a bit on different platforms. I typically add
important examples to the tests directory, set the random number
generation, and compare results within tolerances that work on different
platforms.

Paul Gilbert