[Rd] crash in R OS X GUI (PR#7903)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri May 27 23:37:39 CEST 2005

On May 27, 2005, at 3:25 PM, pdbailey at uchicago.edu wrote:

> When I type an open paren the (otherwise absolutely wonderful) help
> dialog at the bottom crashes R.

Are you talking about the console or the editor?

> For example
>
>> polygon(c(
>>
> [all is well
>
>> polygon(c((
>>
> 2005-05-27 14:13:14.843 R[478] *** -[NSCFDate characterAtIndex:]:
> selector not recognized
> 2005-05-27 14:13:14.881 R[478] *** NSTimer discarding exception
> 'NSInvalidArgumentException' (reason '*** -[NSCFDate
> characterAtIndex:]: selector not recognized') that raised during
> firing of timer with target 3c8350 and selector 'kickstart:'

This is a very strange error and it's just a soft exception so it
should cause no crash - hitting <Esc> should get you back on track.
But if it was a crash (with the famous "app unexpectedly quit"
message), then there should be a  proper crash report - that would be
more helpful in that case. Can you, please, run the debug version
(from http://www.rosuda.org/R/nightly ) and send me the full report
if this occurs again?

> But I can't now reproduce it. Do you know about this bug?

Not directly - it's hard to tell whether this is a bug if it's not
reproducible ;). Did you run any computation in R while typing this?
Was a Quartz window busy plotting something at that point?

Thanks,
Simon