[Rd] Classification Trees and basic Random Forest pkg using tree structures in C

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 4 18:43:10 CET 2005

Izmirlian, Grant (NIH/NCI) wrote:
<snipped>
> The only interesting feature is that the tree structure has been
> implemented in C. Its a neater way to carry stuff around and I am
> guessing would make future implementation easier.
>
> Because of its inherent redundancy from the users standpoint, it
> isn't something to send to CRAN. However, I was wondering whether
> anyone is interested in a copy?

Hi,

Hmm, why didn't you just post a URL? Incidentally I am actually very
interested in seeing your code. I am working on a project where
the data set is extremely large, but the permuntation of the states of
the data is extremely small. Each piece of data consists of only 4
states, so stuffing it as an R object (which takes up 32-byte? on
32-bit machines) or even an char vector is quite wasteful; so I
have written a "strange" data.frame where internally it uses only
2-bit for storage. (it is still work-in-process but I have got to
the point of being able to get and set each 2-bit cell now).

Hin-Tak Leung