[Rd] Problem Sweaving vignettes: MiKTeX's texi2dvi reports errors

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 3 17:30:24 CEST 2005

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Peter G. Warren wrote:

> Hi, Prof. Ripley,
>
> Yes, indeed, that was my problem - thank you! I made the mistake of
> installing in the default path of C:\Program Files\R. I just now reinstalled
> in C:\R, and everything worked fine. However, if anyone else runs into this,
> you cannot just go off and run texi2dvi on an existing .tex file after
> installing in a non-space path: you should rerun the whole Sweave example,
> which forces a number of additional required items to be downloaded.

Indeed as the path is hardcoded in the .tex file generated by Sweave.  In
my case

% -*- mode: noweb; noweb-default-code-mode: R-mode; -*-
\documentclass[a4paper]{article}

\title{A Test File}
\author{Friedrich Leisch}

\usepackage{a4wide}

\usepackage{d:/R/svn/trunk/share/texmf/Sweave}

> Let that process complete, then rerun again. It works fine! The finished
> pdf file sure looks sweet.

Good.  We should try to fix this at R level if we can.  To Fritz Leisch: I
presume this is coming from RweaveLatexSetup's

     if(stylepath){
         styfile <- file.path(R.home("share"), "texmf", "Sweave")
         if(.Platform$OS.type == "windows")
             styfile <- gsub("\\\\", "/", styfile)
         if(any(grep(" ", styfile)))
             warning(gettextf("path to '%s' contains spaces,\n", styfile),
                     gettext("this may cause problems when running LaTeX"),
                     domain = NA)
     }
     else
         styfile <- "Sweave"

So, there should have been a warning that seems not to have been seen.
However, if we added the opposite of normalizePath() to form the short
path, would that fix this?