[Rd] Fwd: R and Java

Laurent Jourdren jourdren at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:08:49 CEST 2005

> I am a grad student and am working on a project where i need to integrate
> java and R. I have a front end in java and i need to call R functions and
> be able to dispaly the plots and graphs produced by R on my java front end.
> I came across some tools like SJava and rserve...but am not sure which best
> suits my application. Your suggestion will be really helpful.

	The only valuable choice to integrate java and R is rserve.

	With RSjava,  data don't persist between 2 two commands, so you can't set a
variable in R from java in one instruction and re-use this data in the next
instruction.

	Rserve is an client/server library, client is pure java (you can easily
deploy it  on *nix and Windows) and each connection has its own object space
in R (only under *nix).

	Laurent.